Hey Internet! Today I want to talk about cleaning out my closet – it’s not just a great Eminem song. It is a super big process I have undertaken.
This weekend I was inspired to really go through my closet and give away things I didn’t like or didn’t wear. I have kind of a big shopping problem and I tend to buy things that I don’t LOVE. I may just like them or I may love the idea of them, but they may not look exactly like I want them to look or they may not be totally comfortable. But I will like the idea of them and so I will buy them. And then I will never wear them. It is a problem.
So this weekend I did a MAJOR closet overhaul. I went through everything and I gave away a TON of clothes. It was actually kind of freeing to be like “Yes. I love and wear everything in my closet.” And it made me think about what I really want in my closet. I want to start shopping for a few quality pieces instead of a bunch of not-great pieces. It will be an adjustment, and there are definitely a few things I want to add to my wardrobe as it stands, but I want to be very deliberate about what I add to my closet. So I’ve taken to Pinterest and started pinning examples of “capsule wardrobes” – wardrobes with a small number of pieces that can be combined in a number of different ways. (You can see my Minimizing the Closet board here.)
And I have started a list of pieces I eventually want to add to my wardrobe. So far I want to keep my eyes out for:
- A Mustard Yellow Cardigan – I had one, but didn’t love it. I need to buy a cardigan that is not from Target. That is the goal.
- A white shirt with black stripes – I love this trend and really want to find one I feel comfortable in.
- Something Leopard Print – It’s time. It’s what the grown ups wear. I need something leopard. Something TASTEFUL and leopard.
- A Colored Pair of Pants – All I wear is jeans and that is a problem. I want to branch out.
- A Shirt with a Peter Pan Collar – Because I love them. Also: Peter Pan.
So that’s the list. I am trying not to do too much shopping, but if I find one of these things that I love I will happily add them to my closet. I am still contemplating what I want my wardrobe as a whole to look like, but I will keep you updated.
So what are some wardrobe staples you couldn’t live without, Internet?