So this whole turning 23 thing has gotten me thinking a lot about this past year and about the coming year and about what has happened, what hasn’t happen and what I would like to happen.
22 was probably the roughest year of my life so far. I spent a lot of it unemployed and missing being at school and being overall depressed and/or anxious. But as I enter my 23rd year, I am genuinely happy and hopeful.
God has pretty much everything to do with this. I’ve done a lot of reading self-help
books magazine articles and reflecting, but what I needed was to really take notice of what He was doing in my life and let Him change my heart. It’s hard for me to put into words, mostly because I am still processing it. Lets just say I’m really very content with my situation, and that has been a long time coming.
Anyhoo, I started this blog last August because I felt totally not in control of my life and I wanted an outlet that I could feel in control of. Now its almost a year later and I know more than ever that I am not in control of my life. And that makes me happy, because I know God’s plan for me is so much better than what I could plan.
I thought it would be fun to look at the list I wrote in my first blog post and see what has changed, what has stayed the same and what I have let go of.
Here we go:
1) Get a job. Pay the bills – I did this! I did this! And I really like my job. Even though tequila Fridays are now a thing of the past. (I know. So sad.)
2) Become a wedding/event planner. – This has not happened, but I have taken a few concrete steps towards it. I’m taking a wedding planning class through a community college and helping my bestie as she plans her wedding. I have an awesome internship with an amazing wedding planner and have gotten to work at a couple weddings. I honestly think it is still a long time in the making before I do this full time, but I am loving what I’m doing thus far.
3) Get healthy – Still a goal. Still hard to do.
4) Move to Denver. – This did not happen, but I did go to Denver twice. And I think everyone involved knew this was a very very long shot. However, what is different from last year is that I am really ok with the fact that this is probably not going to happen. I’d still love it, but if God wanted me in Denver, I’d be in Denver and right now I think I am supposed to be here.
5) Stop being a complete and utter mess all the time. (Spatially and emotionally) – Nothing but good things to report on this one!! I am currently sitting in my room and for the first time basically ever I have a room that I want to hang out in all the time. It’s so clean and pretty and I love it so so so much! Emotionally speaking, I feel like I am significantly less a mess than when I wrote this list. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I still had a long way to fall before I hit the emotional mess rock bottom, but I bottomed out and have been consistently been feeling better and better about life. (Again – this was all God)
6) (And this is where we can (again) all collectively roll our eyes with my cliche-ed-ness -) I want to figure out who I want to be, and then be that person. – Still a work in progress, but progress has been made. I also feel less pressure to figure this out RIGHT NOW. I’m Liz. I’m weird and awkward and so totally blessed and that’s enough for right now.
7) I want to sleep more at night and less over-all. I.e. I want to go to bed before 1 am and wake up before 11 am and stop taking so many naps. – This was a dumb goal. I miss naps. I want to take more naps. Lets all agree to take more naps ok? I’ve certainly gotten more of a normal-grown-up-sleep schedule since getting my job. I also drink about 823% more coffee than I used to.
8) Get on a consistent schedule. – Kind of? Yes. I guess I did. Life is busy now I have a consistent work schedule and my not-working schedule is kind of all over the place. I could still maybe use some schedule consistency.
9) I want to write. – I am for sure writing more. And I think I am getting better at it? You will have to ask the 5 people who consistently read this (Hi dad!) My proofreading skills have not really improved and I am currently taking applications to read all of my blog posts for typos before I publish them. You may apply in the comment section. I a 1000% serious. 1000. That is ten times more serious than being completely serious.
10) Watch more Nora Ephron movies. – This should always be a goal. You can never watch too much Nora Ephron. I just found out a few of my friends are Nora Ephron virgins. My new goal is to de-flower them.
11) Finish re-reading the Harry Potter series for the… fifth? sixth? time –This I did not do….I am ashamed… There is always this year I suppose….
And there you have it. I am working on a similar list for this next yer so when I turn 24 I can read it and think how silly I was now.
Seriously, who wishes for less naps? I was dumb guys.
Anyway. That’s that. I’m going to paint my nails with the nail polish I bought with my a gift card that my dad and step mom sent me. Look how pretty!!!
How have you changed over the past year internet?