Ok guys. All sorts of things have been happening and I have not been blogging like I should, so here is an update:
1) One of the best days I’ve had in a long time happened the Friday before Halloween. I had gotten caught up in the ho hum of not being at my church job anymore and was feeling pretty restless and just blah. And so when I got a call from a nonprofit organization I had applied to intern for and consequently signed up to volunteer with I wasn’t the exact definition of excited to volunteer for an event they needed extra people for, but I wasn’t busy so I thought “What the heck. Might as well.” As soon as I realized that I needed to be on the 4:54 AM train I was slightly less excited. But I had signed up, and it was a good organization and I was still interested in the internship so I was going to be on that train and volunteer at the event. Best. Decision. Ever.
I don’t know what it is, but I had forgotten how much I love volunteering. And having something to do really helped me feel better. The event was a conference for after school programs that were all really interesting, and the people I volunteered with were awesome! It was so super refreshing. I didn’t even mind the early wake up call. It made me realize that even if I don’t have a job, I can totally keep busy and be productive. My life doesn’t have to be just catching up on TV shows and movies and forcing myself to apply to jobs. I don’t need to sleep all day. I can get up and do good things. And it will make me feel so much better. And, while we are at it, I need to be applying for jobs more diligently. So I am going to keep volunteering with them and keep my fingers crossed for the internship (which is event planning, so it would be super awesome amazingsauce! Keep your fingers crossed!)
2) Oh Veganism. How I want to be you, how I have been slacking. It is a difficult transition guys. I don’t miss meat. I don’t miss milk. I sometimes miss cheese I miss regular chocolate candy bars. Halloween was not good for my going vegan. My will power is very low, and having so much chocolate in the house was bad bad bad news bears. So in this beautiful month of November I am reading another book on why I want to be vegan and how to ease myself into it. Its called The Lean by Kathy Freston and its how to ease your way into a vegan diet one day/step at a time. So I am doing that. And it is helping I think. If nothing else I am much better hydrated and that’s good because I almost never drink enough water. So progress? Maybe.
But on the bright side of veganism I have found out that I basically live for vegan butternut squash soup. I love it. Perhaps too much, because too much of anything is not good for you and I was eating it for like 85% of my meals and 75% of my snacks. I love it so much. Want a recipe? OK
You take a butternut squash and you roast it in a pan of water for 40 min on 400. Then you skin it, and put it in a food processor. Add about 1/4 of a cup of vegan butter (Earth Balance is amazing.) Add some vegetable stock (a little at a time. Remember- you can always add, but you can’t subtract!) and some almond milk (I add a bit more of this than the vegetable stock. But again, small amounts at a time.) and then add some salt, some pepper, and some curry powder. (gradually, but don’t be afraid. Don’t hold back on the pepper and curry powder) and then wam bam thank you ma’am! you got yourself some soup!!! I like mine pretty thick (one batch was more like mashed potatoes than soup – but it was good too!) but you can make it as thick or thin as you want it. It is seriously so good.
And tonight I made some mashed root vegetables – some sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, and turnips. It was also super good. Which is weird, because I have never liked sweet potatoes or squash or mashed things. It makes me wonder if I should give potatoes another try. I have always hated potatoes. Anyway, it turns out I love fall/winter veggies and I love them blended and seasoned and all amazing. Who knew? So that is a small victory on the vegan front.
3) I am falling behind on my long reading list. This is a problem. There is a simple solution, but yet I don’t read as much as I should.
4) As predicted my cross-stitching has slowed recently, but it has not stopped! I Even did a pretty big project for Halloween. Here is what I have done since we last talked about it:
|From Muppetvision 3D. My favorite 3D movie in Disney World.|
|From New Girl.|
|From Girls on HBO|
|From A Very Potter Musical|
|Also from New Girl 🙂|
|From the Haunted Mansion!!! This one was the big one. It took over a week.|
I have a Book of Mormon on in the works. I’ll let you see it when it’s done!
5) I CANNOT WAIT for this presidential election to be over. I know it ends tomorrow, but tomorrow cannot end fast enough. Everyday there are so many new things that make me mad and sad. I cannot believe what some people are trying to do. Especially when it comes to gay rights and women’s right. Some of the things politicians are saying literally give me stomach aches. Last night I had a nightmare about election day. I never have nightmares. It was distressing. (As most nightmare are) So tomorrow I am voting and my friend is coming over and we are going to watch election coverage and drink and rock back and forth from election-induced anxiety (is that a thing? I bet it totally is.)
Welp I can’t think of a 6th thing, so that is my list. I hope everyone is weathering this election season better than I am. Make sure you vote and let me know how you are! If you are having a hard time with election season look at this picture. it will make you feel better:
|You’re happy now aren’t you? Yes. Yes you are. You are welcome world!|